Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Reviving a Triebert Brevert C LP clarinet
i friend of mine , rebuilt a clarinet , after he got it back toghether it would squeak , after testing it with cigarette smoke , it was leaking from the thumb rest , it had a 3 hole screw set up ,one screw was missing ,and that where it was leaking , also look at the tone holes under a magnifying glass to see if it is chipped .
Tone holes look good! I did couple of more freeze - WD40 rounds and the barrel is being stubborn.
So I will baptize it in motor oil tonight until monday!

I am kinda getting suspicious that the top part is different than the bottom. The the metal and the wood looks very similar however the screws are different....??

We will see!! Have you heard anything about cleaning the metal parts?
the only thing i know is that they buff(keys) them out ,i asked ,put the barrel part in oil , you dont have to dunk the whole thing ,put it in uopside down till about 1/2 inch past the barrel ring ,that way you dont have to worry about the main body of the clarinet , the guy told me if you soak the whole thing ,the only problem you might encounter is that the posts loosen up some times .
[ATTACH=CONFIG]59[/ATTACH]

SUCCESS!!,!,!,!,!SmileIdea!Cool
Objective achieved!

I avoided using motor oils simply because they are toxic to humans, and I can't think of them drying out completely in the bore. I wouldn't feel comfortable playing or selling to somebody for that reason only.

Anyways! I did put it on a vice and used real brute force on it. Thinking about it engineering wise there is no way the cork is stronger than the wood, so I figured that it will be the first thing that will give. That's what happened.

Now I will carefully scrape it off from the inside and I will order some cork.

Tonight is buffing night for all metal work!

Still thinking wood cleaning!

Feels good to overcome obstacles!Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Way to go! I am sure you got excited! Since you are in the US here is a good link for parts:
http://www.votawtool.com/zcom.asp?pg=pro...0&cat=pads

And a nice link I have found FYI
you are very luckey that the tenon didnt snap , now it is on to the next step
CLEANING THE WOOD

Ok, I will start from the wood! I want to wash it down and make it a bit shiny. Not sure what to use.
I ve seen online different ideas. Murphy's soap, water with soap and quick drying, oil...

Any suggestions?
CLEANING THE WOOD -

After reading a lot of stuff online I concluded the following:
-When there are many opinions just ---------> Choose the simplest

So instead of oiling and magic potions I will just use a bit of soap with lukewarm water.
That was this gentleman's recommendation.

http://www.pspriggs.com/

And some other nice advices FYI:
http://www.woodwind.org/clarinet/Equipme...index.html
remeber , keep track of youre hours that you put in , and materials ,because youre time is money
CLEANING THE WOOD!

(Yes I do!)
The wood ended up being not so dirty. It was disgusting on the inside. Got a lot of smut out.

I cleaned it with regular dish detergent and lukewarm water. From my understanding so far clarinets are made to be wet. I mean when I play for an hour I can see it dripping. The thing is that the wood doesn't absorb the water. And you can see it by how fast it dries.

That took me like 20 minutes to clean all items and 10 eartips for the toneholes who where also smutty. Can't really notice a huge difference but on the feel. A nice grain has been revealed on the barrel. I do suspect more and more that the top and bottom pieces are different.!!

Next is cleaning of keys!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]60[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]61[/ATTACH]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)