Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
amplifiers
hello i went out and bought a small LINE 6 amp with reverb ,,echo, about $130.00 for praticing only , dont waste youre money it might sound good in the store but defintly not clarinet material . can anyone recommend a diffrent type amp that the have sucess with , maybe pedal echo .type of microphone etc .
I used to have a small band a few years ago and I had bought a Fender Passport 250 sound system.
Very nice as you can bag it and go. It is pretty powerful for just yourself though. ~$500used.

Quality of sound: Ok...not exceptional...
Digital Effects I use the Korg Pandora. It is a multieffects box ..great price $100...quality of sound..medium I would think but you can try any kind of effect combination that you like.

I have also used the Digital Delay which was really great!

Mic: Here I have a "kapsa" or "psira" in lack of a better term. It is handmade from Greece. Not very happy with the sound but it does the job.

For natural sound I recommend Shure 58.

For wireless sound I have found a great solution:

Check out the Line 6 equipment. Amazing sound! I will prepare a review for each of the things I mentioned above!
tselingas , LINE 6 ??? youre opinion ?
100% chitown. I got the G30.

http://line6.com/relay/

You can find it used for less than $200.
+ there is no intereference as it uses the 2.4 Ghz spectrum....

But when you practice I recommend playing bare without support.. That is if you have a nice big room that can have a warm sound. If you are playing in a small room the sound won't be much pleasing as there is no natural reverb, echo...
the one i got is the SPIDER 111 (spider 3) line 6 model
Chitown,

What microphone did you use?
I have heard only good things for that amp. But then again all those amps are optimized for guitars.

I want to dive in a bit deeper on what the different kinds of amps do.

You see a guitar has a hard sound where a clarinet has a much warmer. So based on that observation I will look first into bass amps..
They are probably optimized for lower frequencies.

The mic that you where using and the positioning is also very important.
shure sm 57 microphone , i would not recommended it ,it seems you have to go right on top of it , youre opinion ?
also you see georgos maggas playing with a clip on bell mike ,again youre opinion?
Sure the 57 is a very good mic but has a more directional cardioid pattern. You would need something with a wider pattern if you are to use 1 single mike for your clarinet.

1 mike setup: Shure 58 (was the chinese counterfeits) at about 4inches away pointing at the center of the clarinet.
2 mike setup: You need a mixer now to control the levels etc. - Use the 57 at the bell ~ 3-4 inches away.

It won't be simple to amp yourself in a room. couple notes may sound great but some other won't.

Show me the video that he is playing with that clip. I have never seen a single clip on the bell.

-I have also used this system:
http://appliedmicrophone.shptron.com/p/a...one-system
(check ebay for used ones)
You can get good sound...but ..it does look ugly! Work's great for home..A small disadvantage is that you can't do fade-aways...The effect you get when you move the clarinet away from the mic.

I have settled for now on a barrel pickup mainly due to the ease of it all!! and because I like to play wirelessly.
if i come across maggas clarinet(bell) clip on microphone i will post , also what was i doing wrong with the gerotseligas clip ,why i could not get it to post .