Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kostas Aristopoulos live from Agrinio (Drymos Ksiromerou)
Hello everybody!

Check here Kostas Aristopoulos playing solo with his clarinet. Aristopoulos is the most famous clarine player, not only in my region (provence of Aitoloakarnania) but in all Greece!

Enjoy... Big Grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfzr2jSJX...ature=plcp
Leventis! Welcome to klarinogreek!

Great Solo! Aristopoulos is a favorite of mine and he also looks like a great guy!
I really like this video where he sings with Vlahodimo of the stage. - No effects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAYV7CPQ3ko

Has anybody found the song that he dedicated to his brother?
Of course...!!!

Here it is! :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R54EmvSTf...ature=plcp
He has a very nice tone. When he goes into the higher register it gets a brassy sound like a saxophone. One question... how does he play and smoke like that?
Maybe the smoke gives a different tone?? Probably changes the properties of air.Smile

Also it is kind of a trend to "smoke and play" for some clarinetists. Especially the ones that play in festivals in the villages.
bhanner Wrote:One question... how does he play and smoke like that?

HAHAHA! Isn't that admirable??? He's always like this. It is hard to distinguish it, but, the cigarette is held between the baby finger and ring finger (!) or between the ring finger and middle finger, so that he can play ans smoke...!!!
Wouldn't the tobacco clog up your reed as the wood is porous.

Leventis - I would think it would be uncomfortable and more importantly not allow you to have the same mobility around the clarinet. Then again maybe he has just the right thickness in his fingers that allow for the thickness of the cigarette. I am not a smoker so I wouldn't even think of that need to hold something while playing. Even a pencil would get thrown on the stand or dropped before trying to play while holding it.
Well bhanner, you definitely put a scientific spin to it! You are probably right. It definitely changes the properties of the air that gets blown into the clarinet.

Now that you got me thinking, we all know that the clarinet starts dripping after a few minutes of playing. For those who think that it is dripping saliva....well it doesn't unless you are drooling while you are playing! The dripping is caused by the condensation that occurs as the warm lung air hits the cold clarinet walls. Then you may also get some holes do gargling sounds.

Now again, if you would blow smoke into the clarinet or some at least then here is what I think would happen:
1) The smoke has a drying effect -- That's why we cough when we inhale it.
2) Due to (1) above the breath would be drier therefore less condensation - less dripping and less gargling..

Hmmm interesting..never thought about it like that. What do you think ?
It possibly may dry the air out tseligas, but I do not think it would dry it out anything noticeable.

I would expect the tar to do much more damage. It will just glom onto the clarinet. Just think of the brownish spit flowing out of that thing... yuck!

You've seen how the tar builds up on the walls of a smoker's house, right? Same thing there.

Anyways... there must be better things to speak of than that!
Well, sure there are!

Well, what can we say? We can all see the results!