Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Help! My Bb and A sound hissy
also when you blow a G note all holes open ,it should sound loud and strong , if not try a differt reed ,you will have to experiment , in the biggining i must of gone through many reeds , shaving them using sand paper on them , destroyed all of them , so buy a package of 10 reeds and test them all ,one be hind the other ,on an open G note and with a pencil grade them or marker ,mark the goods one and you will see maybe it is not youre embocoure , but the reeds them selves , . also the 5 jb is for greek music ,it is an open piece a little bit louder than b45 if you are concentrating on greek music get 5 jb (use 1, or 1.5 reeds )you can find them on the internet for $80.00 usd.
another tip , i dont have a web cam to show you ,but on the clarinet i use, the (in the low register) the la # ,the re # keys for me were alittle bit to big, bulky. so when i stood in front of a mirror ,i could see that my fingers were inadvertenly touching them , so i took them off shaved them down to the point the keys were thin enough ,so that while i was going up and down there was enough clearace between my fingers and the keys, so that would not activate them accidently . note some keys have a natural curve to them like tseligas clarino , others have more straight keys which for some players they have to be modified. .
OK ! Now you got me curious! I have never heard or thought of grinding the keys off!
Can you post some pics of your clarinet? I would suggest bending first. But good point indeed!

By the way, when is the greek parade in Chicago? I used to be an Efzona couple years ago and I marched there! Fun time!
Do you have 5JB chitown? I want to try it. I play with B45 and I also have a goldentone 3.
hi, i only started last october, i attended the lesson's known in Greece as musical village Μουσικό Χωριό which took place for the first time in Cyprus last october, my teacher was Dimitris Kotsikas ΔΗΜΗΤΡΗΣ ΚΩΤΣΙΚΑΣ check him out on you tube, every professional clarinetist that i have met including ΔΗΜΗΤΡΗΣ ΚΩΤΣΙΚΑΣ have told me the same thing vandoren reeds are shit, and that i should use the vandoren b45 mouthpiece with a number one hot and swing special reed from france, when all greek professional clarinetist use the b45 with a number one at the very most a one and a half hot and swing special reed there has to be a reason. even the great ΠΕΤΡΟ ΛΟΥΚΑΣ PETROLOUKAS uses this combination of reed and mouth piece. when i got my first clarinet an ebonite one i bought rico reeds, once i got my A class baby i immediatly bought the b45 lyre mouthpiece and the hot and swing special reeds. the difference in the tonal quality was obvious even to my ignorant ears. the hissing noise that you hear is from the reed change over to the hot and swing special reed and hear the difference.
tseligas ,always try bending first ,then shave >> i use a selmer 115. also a selmer 120. the 5 jb is 147 opening , i have noticed that the selmers and the 5 jb not to much difference ,i ve tried 5jb profile 88 , at this time i prefer the traditional shaped mouth piece , now there is a guy in australia ,jim boudis ,he makes custom mouth pieces for greek music he seem to know what he is talking about ,i forwarded you an email that he sent to me read it ,and post it if you want , i was going to buy one of his mouth pieces ,but i got the 5 jb instead , but im still thinking about it . read the email and let me know .
tseligas ,look at the high priced buffets , bohem system thats all they make , if you look at the re # , and la # keys , they are very skinny (thin ) probably to thin for greek muscians to do trills with .also in 2 sentences , to put a wed cam and post on this web site , buy a web cam plug it in then ??
eeze Wrote:hi, i only started last october, i attended the lesson's known in Greece as musical village Μουσικό Χωριό which took place for the first time in Cyprus last october, my teacher was Dimitris Kotsikas ΔΗΜΗΤΡΗΣ ΚΩΤΣΙΚΑΣ check him out on you tube, every professional clarinetist that i have met including ΔΗΜΗΤΡΗΣ ΚΩΤΣΙΚΑΣ have told me the same thing vandoren reeds are shit, and that i should use the vandoren b45 mouthpiece with a number one hot and swing special reed from france, when all greek professional clarinetist use the b45 with a number one at the very most a one and a half hot and swing special reed there has to be a reason. even the great ΠΕΤΡΟ ΛΟΥΚΑΣ PETROLOUKAS uses this combination of reed and mouth piece. when i got my first clarinet an ebonite one i bought rico reeds, once i got my A class baby i immediatly bought the b45 lyre mouthpiece and the hot and swing special reeds. the difference in the tonal quality was obvious even to my ignorant ears. the hissing noise that you hear is from the reed change over to the hot and swing special reed and hear the difference.

Eeze, what you are saying is exactly what I was told by many players in Greece. And I have also met petroloukas in Boston. From my experience you need to build up muscle before startlaying with the thin ones. How is your experience so far? Are your notes on the spot or do you have variation of pitch?
chitowngreek Wrote:tseligas ,always try bending first ,then shave >> i use a selmer 115. also a selmer 120. the 5 jb is 147 opening , i have noticed that the selmers and the 5 jb not to much difference ,i ve tried 5jb profile 88 , at this time i prefer the traditional shaped mouth piece , now there is a guy in australia ,jim boudis ,he makes custom mouth pieces for greek music he seem to know what he is talking about ,i forwarded you an email that he sent to me read it ,and post it if you want , i was going to buy one of his mouth pieces ,but i got the 5 jb instead , but im still thinking about it . read the email and let me know .

I will look the email up once I get home. I am in Orlando until Sunday. Thanks, that would be interesting. Btw when you save do you expose the brass underneath the plating?

We have couple options regarding videos on this website. One is to open a YouTube account and post the link here so we can comment. The other one is to start a blog on this site!! Let me know when you get one.
i grinded the sides not the top ,my keys are the same color through out , but you have to carefull because you have got the screw that holds the spring in place , if you notice on yourre clarinet la sharp key has a contour to (curve ) to it, on some clarinets the key is wide and bulky and straight , you would need pencil thin fingers not to accidently trigger it .

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greek Sound bhanner 4 13,535 January 19th, 2012, 22:52
Last Post: tseligas