Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My clarinet...does NOT work!!!
Ok, with this funcy title I want to aks the follwing:

I try to blow my clarinet and it makes the typical sound, as if you don't shut the holes correctly (the squeky sound that can smash a rock!). BUT I know that I have my fingers correctly. After all, the same happens when I play "sol" tone (no fingers).

Furthermore, I need to blow even harder than I used to! I use a 1.5 stick, as you suggest. It is a new one and I tried to wet in well!

It's been a while since I have "cleaned" the instrument, and I did so today. The clarinet is very old and I was thinking that maybe there is some ar leak somewhere...

I can not play! something is wrong...

Any suggestions????

Thnx in advance!!!
Dear Leventis!!

That sounds like an easy fix. I assume your clarinet was playing before and that your pads are not really dry... (Check to see if they are cracked)
Then I would check to see the connections between the different parts of the clarinet..mouthpiece to barrel, barrel to 1st piece etc....

If you say it squeeks with a G or SOL then the leak should be high. So actually forget the pads they should be fine.
See if the connections are loose. If they are that's ok...sometimes it is normal if the cork get's worn out.
Obviously you can change the cork or you can use some teflon tape.

Get the teflon tape around the cork generously and then see if you have a tight fit. I really believe that it will fix it.

Since it is your 1st 1.5 your lips will take some adjustment period to get stronger. Always wet it and make sure that the reed holder is not too high or too tight.
That will cause it to squeek too.
Or not too loose. (I know this is qualitative but you will build a feel for it slowly.

Try going from very loose to very stiff hold. See how it affects your sound.
Then try to bind the reed higher and lower. You will have more comfort at certain spots.

Let me know if it works out! Don't let that squeaking stop you!!
may i add , example today the clarinet plays beatiful , leave it for 3 days pick it up id does not sound like it did 3days ago , sounds hollow muffed etc , now you start practicing and in 1 hour it has come back to life , this is caused by the lack of humidity, they say a clarinet (when they played the panigira out doors) loves otan spilo brexi(a fine misting rain )
Yes...Chitown.. You are right it does happen! I see variability from day to day also!!

It doesn't rain much in Saudi Arabia Cool
a lot of dry heat , take a spray bottle and mist the clarinet then play right away and you will see a difference
Poor clarinet!!! I am sure it was not engineered for those areas!! Smile

By the way... Is there a device (small like a metronome ) that we can put in the case of the clarinet and would regulate humidity?? Idea!
some clarinet cases high end have a gauge on it , also some players put orange peels in the case when they dry out they change them , theory the orange peels ,as they dry out release humidity , keeps the clarinet moist . give it some thought
Good idea! I guess it depends on the climate too! My clarinet as I remember when I bought it came with those humidity absorbing packs.
as time goes on you will be able to tell what ails youre clarinet ,like a doctor .too humid not enough etc .
orange peels in general are bad humidifying devices (mold). You can use Boveda Bags 62 percent OR try the good old humidistat.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink Which Clarinet is suitable for Epirotic songs and style? argos 4 9,889 May 21st, 2019, 09:58
Last Post: skaros
  Clarinet pickup -- which Amplifier? Klarino123 3 9,441 June 26th, 2014, 21:14
Last Post: chitowngreek
  What is your favorite clarinet sound? Post a video!!!!! tseligas 21 37,570 June 5th, 2014, 11:34
Last Post: skaros
  Where can I buy Clarinet products in Greece tseligas 2 7,775 April 21st, 2014, 13:52
Last Post: tseligas
  What are the top songs to know in Clarinet tseligas 2 7,300 April 21st, 2014, 13:52
  What is the right clarinet for Greek music? tseligas 6 20,734 April 19th, 2014, 16:16
  Educational Question about clarinet Pitch & Tuner zwniana 12 22,213 January 29th, 2014, 22:33
  Mouthpiece C Clarinet zwniana 2 6,836 January 20th, 2014, 15:55
  My first clarinet! Ramadan 33 56,707 October 21st, 2013, 14:51
Last Post: Ramadan
  Buying my first clarinet Ramadan 26 44,015 July 3rd, 2013, 21:56