Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BOSS RV-3 Digital Delay - Reverb for clarinet Review and test
In this project I will test out an old Boss RV-3 Digital Delay Reverb that I got from a friend who plays guitar.

My goal is to test out the possibility to adapt this Pedal to my clarinet setup and make a nice sound.

If anyone has any experiences with similar equipment please share them with the forum!!
But first let's discuss what is delay what is reverb...

Delay = Echo ... Assume you are in grand canyon and you yell ..you will hear your Echo....or your voice with a delay...which may repeat a few times with diminishing loudness depending on how many times it will bounce off the walls. That's it!!!

Reverb now is something else... It has to do with the way your voice/sound reflects off certain surface configurations that are close to you!!! I will get into physics in a moment...
But high level first. The sound that you hear when you sing in the shower...That is a reverbation!!! Your voice suddenly sounds more rich..like the sound lasts longer!!!

So what is the pure sound of the clarinet? I have heard it in a silent room and it is nothing pleasant!!! trust me!! What gives the clarinet and other instruments the pleasant sound has to do a lot with the acoustic configuration of the place we are playing. Bring in mind orchestra halls or theaters... Have you heard of halls that are appropriate for jazz music?

So conclusion is that Echo and Reverbation are naturally occuring phenomena and can make the clarinet sound really nice! Of course they have to be calibrated and that is what I intend to do in the next few days going step by step and testing all settings and ultimately suggesting one!

Now let's go to the physics. Our brain keeps in the memory a sound for 0.1 seconds.....
Let's think of a room vs a canyon and the speed of sound. The sound has a fixed speed(for our purposes)...

If we blow a note in a room then the sound takes less than .1 sec to arrive to our ear... so we CANNOT perceive a difference between what we play and what reverbates of the wall!!!
If we blow a note on the edge of grand canyon the sound will take.... 1 second to arrive to our ear. Our brain has already forgotten the previous sound (the original) and recognizes a new one as it comes all the way echoing from the other side of the canyon.

So to sum up... Reverb and Echo (or Delay) is the same physical process of sound bouncing on a wall and back to our ear and the difference lies on the way our brain perceives the bouncing!

!!!!Idea!!!!! That's it!Rolleyes

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ideas for recording clarinet at home tseligas 3 6,456 September 24th, 2015, 15:28
Last Post: tseligas
  Clarinet Tuning tseligas 2 5,972 April 10th, 2014, 18:50
Last Post: tseligas