Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Reviving a Triebert Brevert C LP clarinet
Well, I left it for 30 minutes..and it didn't rock...
Don't you think it will stink with the motor oil? I am leaning towards WD40...

The ring is loose at least and it rotates!!!
tseligas ,it might take 2 to 3 days for it to come loose , let it soak , and soak ,and soak ..
Ok, so far, I have tried spraying locally with WD40...wiggling it... Nothing.

I am putting it in the fridge again for 1 hour. If that fails I will make a nice bath in 10W40 motor oil!!!

I am about to remove all keywork! Will post pictures!
remeber do not rush it soak it ,and lets say if you cannot get it off , take it to a professional ,(i mean a guy that makes aliving at it and see if he can get it off )but i think if you soak it long enough it will come of.f
Ok, 2nd time in the fridge, a little bit of wiggling...nothing moves...more WD40, fridge again..

...........In the meantime.............:
See the picture. I started disassembling the bottom part and I got to say that the wood looks overall in good condition. I had trouble removing a few screws and some of the didn't want to move. I used WD40 to solve some arguments.

springs look rusted but functional. I am not sure yet how the springs are attached to the little heads. There may be a hole through them.

I am missing also 1 screw. Throw ideas on how I can get one.

I also had trouble numbering the little heads. It appears that each one has its own place. So as I removed them I noted down their location.
My intention was to wash them all together in a solution but I don't want to mix them...

Pads look simply disgusting.... there are some things growing on one of them. Ideas to remove them?
If I am right they used glue wax to put them together so I will try to heat them up and see if they fall off.

There are still 2 stubborn screws left on the thumb rest on the back. Almost stripped one of them. Got it WD-40'd and I will give it an hour before I attack again!

As for the stuck barrel if it won't come out tonight with the fridge+WD40 technique I will drown it!..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58[/ATTACH]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

as for the thumb rest ,if the screws are tight leave them on , as for the pads i think if you use a cigarette lighter you can heat it up ,the pads should fall off ,the keys buff them out on a buffing wheel ,all the springs mounted under the keys have a hole in them ,
Update:

Thumb rest released after WD40.. (one screw will never turn counterclockwise again ROFL)
Lesson: Let the screws soak in WD40 overnight.

Now the metal separated from the wood eventhough there are couple points where there is a metal pin in the wood. Probably the springs where sitting there.

I think I will leave it there for the time being.

So next:

Cleaning methods for Keys and cleaning method for the wood.
And we also need to repair that crack.

At this time I need to order some cork too. I remember eeze had some experience. Gonna send him a PM to summon him.
OILING THE WOOD

I was reading this article here:
http://www.the-clarinets.net/english/c-a...iling.html

It appears that he talks from experience. Very nice article that explains with science why oiling can be good and bad.

In summary he suggests using this mixture:
linseed oil + hempoil (all cold pressed) + citrus terpene + quartz + patience

He advises against petroleum based oils.
And I also had a problem numbering all the key holding pins. As each one is custom made for every position when I will clean them in a solution (Haven't figured that part out yet) I will mix them and then it will be a nightmare.

I actually had a dream tonight that my grandmother cleaned the table where I have them laying out right now!!! What a nightmare!!!

So the solution is them to put them on string after you number them on a sketch. I made a sketch starting from the top down. Will post a picture later.

So then you can hold them all together by the string, wash them, plate them ...whatever!
the first one is always the hardest , after you get the clarinet back toghether the oil will work it self out , and those little pins in the wood are for the springs to piovot off of .