Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Advice on Bb...
Hi guys,...

I have some issues with by Bb. (the mid one)... it doesn't sound nice...SadSad
like the tone is dead... does anyone else have the same issue???
I am not sure how to describe the note... iHAHAhaht just is not bright and I changed reeds but still the same...

Any help would be appreciated!!!Cool
leventis try playing with youre hands wet ( put them under the water shake them out ) then play , some times if there is a little air leaking out it will affect the sound when youre hand are wet they seal better , if the sound is the same well have to look elsewhere,for the problem ,because im sure other players have had these issues ,
Nice Trick Chitowngreek!!! I have never heard of that before!!

Should I try to leave them in the water until they get soft??
not really , 30 seconds , or another trick that the clarinet players use they close all the holes put the bell on there knee and they blow smoke to see if they find a leak , because sometimes as youre coming down mi ,re,do si, la, when you get to la , if you have a weak spring on the do # , or RE# , or sol # it will have an affect on the note . youll be wondering whats going on . it doesnt take much . also if a clarinet is dry , and the pads are extra dry you have to play the clarinet until the pads soften up . agaim on old timers method they will mist the clarinet with water and that should take care of pads that are not sealing properly . . thsi only for clarinet that do not get a weekly workout . leventis how are you making out with the si b problem
Excellent tips Chitown! I actually never head of wetting neither fingers or pads! Makes sense !
I suspect that the issue leventis has may also have to do with the inherent "hissing" of the Bb.
I made a video here with very useful information.
http://www.klarinogreek.com/content_vide...roveBb.php

Let me know what you think!
just listened,,and watched youre video ,(in first 5 minutes what youre clarinet does it happens to all clarinets ,sound wise ). sometimes you hear hissing , like a nasal sound ,i dont know if that can be heard only by you , maybe the person whos in the room cant hear it . allso ive noticed that if the pad isnt the right height off the tone hole it will give a deaden sound ,fuzzy sound , some clarinets have ajustment screws to raise and lower the keys(pads)over the tone holes , also is that a hammerschimdt,or yamaha clarinet you have .also the tensions that youre lips ,mouth put on the reed will cause a note to appear hollow .
It happens to all clarinets. That's why they do tricks like the once I am showing. Now in a performance if it is a passing note probably nobody will notice but If lets say you are playing a long Bb then you need to have good tone.

My clarinet is Amati Craslice. Chechoslovakian.!!

And you are absolutely right about the last comment. that is why I made that second video on how to check your mask!! We think alike!! Smile

Did you try to find resonant fingering for your clarinet?
see what i do when i try out a new reed i test it the second la, si, if it is not loud ,i mean loud and clear ,and crispy i dont use the reed .
and tommorro im going to watch youre video again .
I have found that reeds take like a few days to stabilize.... And in general I see variation with the same reed over time!!
if the reed is good (playable)on the first day , by the end of week it should be in top form , thats why a lot of clarinet players will have 4 and five reeds that are broken in allready ,so that you are never without a good reed .