Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Help! My Bb and A sound hissy
Tseligas,

I need some help... I can't seem to get a good tone fro Bb and A...What should I try to do? I am using a #1 Reed (I know you recommend 1.5 and up) and a noname mouthpiece.

I only play a few months so I 'd appreciate it if you could help me troubleshoot it.
Thanks!
You did not mention in which register.
Check for air leaks.
Check your pads.

Change reeds - you should not be playing with a 1- way too soft.
If you really like playing with a #1 then get yourself a Vandoren 5JB mouthpiece.
Hi Niaven,
They are the A and Bb that you play when you have all the holes open and you just press with the thumb/left index. lol that's the long explanation....
I think you would call this the mid register in a Bb clarinet?

I don't think there are any leaks cause I play all the rest notes just fine....but on the other hand is there another way to check for leaks?

Pads are relatively new...no cracking... :-(

I am playing with a #1.5 that tseligas suggested and it treats me good so far. I also got a Vandoren B45 mouthpiece.
What do you think?
What's the difference between a B45 and 5JB? ...

Thanks
Evaki,

Tell us a little bit more about the issue we have and we'll probably be able to help.
I agree with Niaven's recommendations and I want to see his opinion on the mouthpieces too.

Here are couple questions to help you out.

Does it squeek?
Do the notes not have a strong tone as for example when you go on the high register?
Do you hear a light hiss?
Do you feel air escaping from the sides of your mouth?
Thanks tseligas and Niaven,

Well no it doesn't squeak. (it did at the begining but then I started wetting the reed before playing it, worked on my embouchure and kept improving my hole coverage)

It is just a weak sound....It seems like I cannot get it to vibrate much. Not sure how to describe it...so I will keep talking about it.
I guess what you say...that there is no strong tone. Definitely like that. There is nowhere near the strength of the high register and it sounds bad especially when I have to hold that note and its not a passing one.

I am dissapointed.... I think it's the clarinet. I don't have another one to try out. Any ideas are welcome. It really messes me up!

Eve
Evaki - when you play A you are using the A key or only your left index finger
nothing else. When you play A# or Bb you use the A key and the register key or
your left index finger and the thumb on the register key.

It still sounds like an air leak to me. Make sure you are not touching the Ab/G# key when you are trying to play A opr Bb. Also, try adjusting the reed on the mouthpiece. Open the ligature and slide the reed up and down while blowing a G - no fingers on the clarinet whatsoever-until you get the best sound. If you have an old clarient check the tone holes to make sure they are clear.

Evaki - you state that you are playing for only a few months. This means that you
embouchure and lip strength have not developed adequately to play with a 1 1/2 reed. Move up to a 2 1/2 and practice "crossing the bridge" - playing G A A# B. This the hardest progression to master as a beginner.
Also the VanDoren B45 is the most popular mouthpiece,designed for the symphonic player (not for use with soft reeds unless you are an experienced player) and and is perfect for you needs.

The 5JB is known as Jazz mouthpiece.
I agree 100% with Niaven's comments! 2 1/2 reed is a challenge but it really pays after a while. You have much more muscle that you can work with and you do feel the improvement in your control.

From my experience I have seen that different companies have different scales in the hardness of the reeds. I mainly use Vandoren...

Niaven what's your pick? I ve used Rico in the past but have of them where unplayable.

Evaki, I have another idea.:
In the clarinet usually the notes that you talk about at the lower scale come out weak. You have to use the throat to help make them stronger. This is also a technique used in glissando.

You see the reed frequency of vibration is controlled by the resonances in the clarinet and the ones in your throat. Usually the clarinet resonance are very strong and your throat can only have a minor effect. But in the case of the A, Bb, open G and even E the clarinet resonance are weak ...and that's why you don't have strong tone. So here you can use your throat resonance to make the tones stronger.

Here is how to practice this. Start by clearing your throat and try to keep that frequency....now drive the vibration towards your uraniscus. So starting from the esophagus clear the throat all the way to the edge of your upper teeth. As you go up you are increasing the frequency.

Now blow a G and try to find the same frequency in your throat. That will help a lot making those notes stronger.
Of course don't overdo it. These are a bit advanced tricks!!

Niaven, do you practice this technique??
Good advice! I just ordered 2 1/2 reeds from Vandoren. Do you have any specific exercises I can do to strengthen my embouchure?

"
It still sounds like an air leak to me. Make sure you are not touching the Ab/G# key when you are trying to play A or Bb. Also, try adjusting the reed on the mouthpiece. Open the ligature and slide the reed up and down while blowing a G - no fingers on the clarinet whatsoever-until you get the best sound. If you have an old clarinet check the tone holes to make sure they are clear.
"
Niaven, I don't think I got a leak...but I did that trick with the reed and it did help to find the right tone. No wonder ...now I understand why every time I was playing it sounded differently!!

Tseligas.. you are throwing me in the deep water right there... but thanks!! I ll try to work that technique. I got an understanding of how it works and I also saw that glissando webpage that you have posted in the Tips & Tricks section. Will keep you posted!
also another tip , if you see and pay attention(on some videos you see the clarinet player ajusting the reed ) after you play the clarinet for an extentened period of time the reed starts to close on you . use youre cap . another reed , to slightly bend youre reed back ward ,dont break it , especialy if you have a 1 or 1 1/2 reed it gets soft and it will close on you and for beginners you will not know what is happening or why.
AAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS Chitowngreek.... THAT explains ALOT!!!! you save me some frustration there! At least now I understand why it happens!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greek Sound bhanner 4 13,538 January 19th, 2012, 22:52
Last Post: tseligas