Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What is the right clarinet for Greek music?
Dear all,

I decided to start a thread after many people asking the same question.

- So what is the right clarinet for Greek music?

Let's start with some general notes:
For the old greek music recordings that we find in the oldest records the low G albert was the weapon of choice. C Albert was a second choice.

Today most of the greek clarinetists play either with Bb or A which is gaining more and more popularity.

Other basic facts is the mono do or diplo do which is an automatic C mechanism.

On the clarinets we observe many different key setups. Older clarinets had fewer keys...so most players prefer those simply because they are used to them in the first place.

Now more or less keys:
More keys, advantages:
a) More alternate fingerings...ie faster fingering
b) More accurate notes ...ie accurate sound.

Disadvantages
a) If there is a keyring on a hole it is tougher to slide your finger which makes a sound used a lot in greek music.
b) More things to learn if you are lazy
but let's not dig too deep into the keys.
So summing up...the original instrument that we have in our first greek recordings is by majority a C Albert clarinet.

Now! Let's keep in mind the Pitch!
Low Pitch vs High Pitch.

Low Pitch is modern tuning which would be in tune with any instrument on the market now.

High pitch is an old and abandoned tuning. However most of the old recordings are played with a HP clarinet!
Is there really a difference in your ear if you play HP or LP??? Well I think it is! Same way Itia sounds different if you play from LA or MI. But that is my personal opinion!

In conclusion I would suggest a Bb LP clarinet to start with! Then you can get a C and then you can get a A.
Other points that someone can take into account and now we will go a bit in personal preference is the weight of the clarinet.
Light C<Bb<A Heavy.. This will cause considerable fatigue on your thumb.
Also C is shorter than A... If you have short or very long fingers one may be uncomfortable.

Other kinds of clarinets are the ones with rollers or without rollers. Don't see that how it can affect the sound.

Number of rings will affect the sound! In the following ways:
Rings were introduced for more flexibility and playing dexterity and speed and also improved purity of tone and pitch.
Many people believe there is a difference in the type of sound from these extra keys... I think it is a very small detail

Keep in mind when you compare your sound to an old recording that it is exactly that !!! An antiquated method of recording and reproducing music. So it is really difficult to understand the original natural sound of that clarinet!
Now how do you look for a clarinet? (an old one)

Best bet is ebay, this forum, or music shops...

Use search terms like "Old" "Vintage" or "antique" clarinets because many people won't know what "Albert" or "German" type is.

Also you have to make sure they are not selling an HP (Unless you want one)

If there are no markings ask for the length:
For LP (A=440 Hz)
C: 23.5" (59.7cm with mouthpiece) or 20.5" (52.1cm without)
Bb: 26.5" (67.3cm with mouthpiece) or 23.25" (59.1 cm without)
A: 27.75" (70.5cm with mouthpiece) or 25" (63.5 cm without)

For HP (A= 451 Hz)
C: 22.75" (67.9cm with mouthpiece) or 19.5" (49.53cm without)
Bb: 25.5" (64.8cm with mouthpiece) or 22.5" (57.15 cm without)
A: 26.75" (67.9cm with mouthpiece) or 23.75" (60.3 cm without)

NOTE : the above is not absolute!!!! Some manufacturers use different sizes sometimes +-1/2 inch.
Manufacturers of clarinets:

Here are some reputable manufacturers:

Kohlert,
Buffet
Some words about playing greek music. A prerequisite when playing greek music is to forget the note reading from the sheet.
It has to do more about feeling the music and the song! Keep that in mind and once you build the basic technique try to be as expressive as possible!!

The only way to learn the greek style is by listening and listening and more listeninng!
OLD VS NEW

In your search for the perfect clarinet you will also come across someone that will tell you (especially if from a classical band ) that the while the string instruments age well and gain the value the opposite will hold for the wind instruments.

A classical player will always need an instrument in perfect tune...something that behaves well and predictably and repeatedly!. That requirement results in instruments with heavy keywork! Which is also one of the reasons the albert clarinets are out of favor in orchestras.

You will find that the argument will turn into something clearly subjective on the sound each one prefers!

From my experience by trying many old instruments I have found that the old ones have more character in their sound where the new ones are becoming so standardized that they tend to sound the same!
very well said tseligas ,there is not much more to add,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink Which Clarinet is suitable for Epirotic songs and style? argos 4 9,891 May 21st, 2019, 09:58
Last Post: skaros
  Clarinet pickup -- which Amplifier? Klarino123 3 9,441 June 26th, 2014, 21:14
Last Post: chitowngreek
  What is your favorite clarinet sound? Post a video!!!!! tseligas 21 37,571 June 5th, 2014, 11:34
Last Post: skaros
  Where can I buy Clarinet products in Greece tseligas 2 7,776 April 21st, 2014, 13:52
Last Post: tseligas
  What are the top songs to know in Clarinet tseligas 2 7,300 April 21st, 2014, 13:52
  Educational Question about clarinet Pitch & Tuner zwniana 12 22,213 January 29th, 2014, 22:33
  Mouthpiece C Clarinet zwniana 2 6,837 January 20th, 2014, 15:55
  My clarinet...does NOT work!!! leventis 12 22,115 January 20th, 2014, 15:40
  My first clarinet! Ramadan 33 56,711 October 21st, 2013, 14:51
Last Post: Ramadan
  Buying my first clarinet Ramadan 26 44,018 July 3rd, 2013, 21:56