Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Reviving a Triebert Brevert C LP clarinet
also if it does not come apart right away do not rush it ,we dont want to break it and better late than never . and when i seeethat old clarinet player hopefully tommorro ,i will ask him some questions ,about the cork ,
tseligas wait i more day and let me find out because will elmers slip and slide affect the wood . sound ? the professional clarinet restorers soak the clarinet in a oil bath , google clarinet restoration and see what comes up ,, also if you remove the keys , and the post are still tight leave them on . because i ve seen where the take them off and the treads strip out and then they use super glue to put them back
Ok I just found I also got a Lithium dry lube (WHICH IS TOXIC) and

WD40,
10W40 motor oil and
olive oil..

I just read that Elmer's slide All has Acetone and I am not big of a fan of putting a strong solvent on the clarinet.

Thoughts?
i would not use olive oil , it will put a flim on when it dries i vote no a big no
also try to heat up the barrel with a hair dryer ,and rock it off do not turn it because it might snap the tenon,
OK good input! I will wait until tomorrow and I will try to educate myself more! This is sooo much fun!
GREAT PROJECT Guys!! Keep it going! I already learned many things on this thread!

I would put it in the freezer in a ziplocked bag so it doesnt absorb any moisture. Then try to rock the barrel back and forth from different angles.
Maybe repeat. I don't think the freezer will hurt the instrument as long as you don't play it right after!

Then I would maybe try some oils..

Tseliga that acetone that you mentioned really doesnt' sound like a good idea. It may attack whatever coating is on wood right now.

Regarding petrol based products like vaseline... I don't think that they hurt the wood. ( Vaseline has been used routinely for greasing the corks).
The motor oil sounds kinda extreme!
tseligas ,motor oil maybe , but what i see some people use walnut oil , what ever you do let it soak 1 week if you have to , every day try to rock it loose , if it moves a hair next time it will move 2 .
How is WD40?? Motor oil sounds...too thick and not too penetrating.
Elmer's slide all dries very fast and won't penetrate.
How about the fridge technique... I don't think it will hurt.
try it and let me know , the old timers did not have refrigerators to begin with so this might work and if it does i will spread the word ,maybe 10 w motor oil ,this is youre first restoration so it will a learning experience .