Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Greek Sound
Hello,

I have played the clarinet for years (15+) but I am new to the Greek clarinet. What sort of different techniques are utilized for such a distinctive sound? There sounds like so much less control but yet there must be to make such music.

Thank you!
bhanner
Wow, great question,....I think I should write an article about that....
Well with 15+ years you must be a pro yourself... What type of music did you play before.?

I also imagine that you are using a Boehm clarinet rather than an Albert type....that lends itself more to greek music.

I do think that you must have harnessed a lot of technique all these years of playing clarinet... So you know staccato..legato...slurring tonguing, double tonguing etc....

You are almost there to play greek music. But to interpret it the right way here are some general tips....

- Pick a song that you like and find couple of versions of it. Pick for example - S'agapo giati eisai oraia...(not a folk song) but definitely has the same roots.
Listen to it as much as you can.... Like 24/7 if you can.
...After you have drilled your ears to it, try to play it with the score...
- You will probably think now that it sounds "dry" ..and here is where the interpretation comes into play...

You will need to figure out next by listening now the volume changes, the tonguing vs slurring (I try to notate some of that) and the glissing of the notes...

There are many different interpretations of a song but you can get a general "feel" of what it is supposed to sound like by listening continuously to many versions... Eventually you understand what it is not supposed to sound like also!

Also be carefull when you listen to greek music on youtube....Most modern clarinet players use a lot of effects such as - reverb - echo - compessor - to make their own "sound". While that is OK in some instances with moderation overall the end result may not sound like a clarinet at all.

A friend of mine in US who plays for the classical orchestra said once after listening to a song I had on my Mp3 player: ...." What kind of instrument is that?"

Having said that, try to find older songs that have a "pure sound".

And mimic..!

P.S. I will come back to this subject with lessons on the special techniques aforementioned. Keep playing and please do post a video of you playing!
You could probably write several articles.

I have played a variety of music as I participated in concert band, pit orchestra, clarinet choir, marching band, and jazz band (on the tenor sax). Classical, pop, show tunes, jazz, funk, big band, blues ... My favorites are the big band, swing, and funk. They are quick paced, upbeat, and I find them very expressive and interesting to listen to and of course play!

Yes I am on the Boehm clarinet. I know the fingerings are slightly different as the spacings of the holes are somewhat modified. It really gives that much of a different sound? You can also get different sounds depending on what mouthpiece you have as they greatly affect the way the air comes into the instrument and what sort of vibration you get on your reed. I must admit I have yet to fall in love with a mouthpiece. Sad, I know. And that brings you to another point. The reed. Now I use a 3.5 as it gives you much more control and crispness over the range.

I have noticed a lot of different "sounds" and it is quite frustrating to not hear the true instrument. Is this a current fad to use the electronics? I find it is much more expressive and interesting without all the electronics.

I must admit that I am currently listening to a mix of classic big band tunes. Maybe a playlist for the car would help.

Thank you for the response tseligas! Can't wait for more tips and tricks on the sound!
Well you seem that you are a pro in your field. It would be interesting to see some video of you playing Greek songs. See how well you will adapt.

You will probably introduce something different to the sound! ...mmm nice idea!

Regarding mouthpiece,... Greeks play with #1 or #1.5 and an open mouthpiece. Reason is, it is less demanding if you play long hours and you can bend notes easier.
HOWEVER!!! It will make the clarinet probably flatter. Then you would need to shorten the barrel.

Mysteriously enough, my clarinet is becoming sharper (#1.5, Vandoren B45) so I just raise the barrel a bit and I am all set.

Electronic aids like Echo help you again when you play for 6 hours straight because....you don't have to blow too much! And I totally agree with you.

Keep it simple and pure!

I will be writing more articles from my experience! Good Q's you got there!
And here is a "pure" song. -Really difficult tune but you will see the richness of the expression!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-FfaI96A...re=related

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help! My Bb and A sound hissy evaki 24 41,097 April 19th, 2013, 20:37
Last Post: chitowngreek